Friday, May 29, 2009

today has been somewhat of a rollercoaster of emotions. first, something amazing happened (no, not a hilburton/sophbush friendship, we just put that plan into place, people). while doing some online browsing, i stumbled upon and watched the pilot episode of the new fox show "Glee".

it.was.amazing.

in my mind, the only thing that can make a television show or movie better is some sort of musical spectacular scene. i mean, what would First Wives Club be without "You Don't Own Me"? Just a bunch of middle aged divorcees bitching! How much more fun did you have watching Full House when the Beach Boys would make sporadic and often nonsensical appearances at DJ's birthday parties? So I clearly already knew "Glee" and I were going to be buds. And then I started watching this Breakfast Club/Mamma Mia! hybrid, and just...wow.

The "Glee" characters are a hilariously mismatched group of misfits and a lone jock, and MAN do they do quick work on your heart. My personal favorite was the token sassy black girl who sang "RESPECT" like a champ and made a hilarious "I'm Beyonce, I ain't no Kelly Rowlands" joke.

So the episode is moving along, and I'm enjoying myself when the best possible thing happens in the last five minutes or so. That's right - the kids, newly dedicated to success amidst typical high-school adversity and dressed in snazzy matching fitters and trendy black chucks, started singing Journey. And not just ˆany Journey, but the end-all be-all of Journey greatness: Don't Stop Believin'. As soon as I heard those opening notes, my like exploded into love and I knew "Glee" and I had moved into a committed relationship.

Then, I heard the saddest news. My Journey-induced high was shot down like an old Indian on the Trail of Tears. No more "Glee" episodes until the FALLTIME. The pilot was just released as a little sampler of excitement to come. Fox - what a tease! It's like one of those girls or Jonas Brothers who wait until marriage for sex; it's just not fair to the rest of the world. Already my life has been battered down by the fact that Lucas and Peyton are leaving TH, Izzie may or may not die and leave Alex a broken man, and I won't know until fucking 2010 if the detonation of the hydrogen bomb DID IN FACT make time jump backwards on the LOST island! JUST when my hopes had been raised by the promise of listening to seriously bitchin' a capella versions of 80s classics once a week, the television industry took that away from me too.

I suppose this will have to suffice for the long summer months...watch and enjoy. Pay special attention to when the wheelchair-bound kid (lots of diversity on this show) shreds the guitar solo. BAMF.


No comments: